College & Career Counseling Center
The Prout School has always had a robust college-placement program.
Every year 99% of Prout graduates attend a four year college or university. Alumni include: doctors, scientists, attorneys, engineers, writers, musicians, artists, actors and educators. Some of the most prominent business people in Rhode Island graduated from Prout, and the foundation was laid here for their future success.
Many of these accomplishments have taken place under the guidance of Ms. Mary Hoyt. This year, as she celebrates 42 years at The Prout School, Ms. Hoyt has taken on a new challenge. She is focusing her considerable talent as the Director of the newly launched College & Career Counseling Center at The Prout School.
At the Center, Ms. Hoyt and Eddie DeCesare work with students on the entire college placement process, including workshops and regular updates to prepare students and their families as they make the very important decisions related to college selections and applications.
The College and Career Counseling Center will:
- Counsel students on appropriate course work, SAT preparation, GPA expectations, extracurricular and service opportunities as they begin to think about the college application process.
- Hold College Counseling workshops and provide students with materials beginning second semester junior year to prepare them to begin the college counseling experience. Workshops are held several times each year, including the summer. Some of the workshops are: Application, Recommendations, and Essay workshops.
- Set up visits with college representatives to meet with interested students.
- Meet regularly with all students and their families beginning in the winter of junior year through the summer before senior year, to begin to assess student’s interests and parameters that might contribute to the college selection (majors, geographic location, and school size). As a result, students begin to research school choices and return to the College Center to review the lists.
- Provide students with packages that outline time tables and action items to prepare materials and information for the application process.
- Review and proof college materials for students including: activity sheets, applications, essays, and supplements.
- Take particular care working with students with special interests such as: NCAA athletes, student artists and performers who require auditions and/or portfolios.
- Connect students with alum for opportunities to explore careers including visits to Prout, shadowing and potential internship opportunities.
- Organize a career day for students with parent or alumni professionals.