The Academic Coaching Program will make one teacher available daily, when school is in session, Monday through Thursday from 2:30 until 4:30 p.m. to serve as an academic mentor or coach.
The idea is to make a teacher available to assist students with academic issues. As stated above, we will schedule one teacher daily from 2:30 until 4:30 p.m. Generally, we will plan on using Room 990B and Room 980, although the rooms used will be announced daily.
Those not familiar with this program should note that some of the ways the teacher in these rooms might function are as follows:
- Review homework assignments
- Offer academic advice on a variety of issues
- Assist with a particular assignment, as time permits
- Refer a student to another teacher, counselor, or administrator
- Provide encouragement and a professional teacher to speak to about an academic or assignment concern
- Provide a safe and helpful atmosphere to do homework
It should be noted that this service is available to all Prout students who need only show up in one of the designated rooms for academic assistance, or to do just do homework in a supervised environment. These are not specifically designed to be sessions for tutoring since the faculty member in the room may not be familiar with the subject matter with which the student needs assistance. Many students, however, simply need advice on time management or study techniques. Faculty members may also help a student determine the best method to obtain assistance.